How do I maximise the financial return of my solar power system?
The solar system has the potential to offset the cost of the system if you buy a reliable long lasting system. If the system is cheap and of poor quality you will not get a return for decades and your financial return will not be maximised.
Remember what ever can be done during the solar generation period i.e. daylight hours will help you maximize returns.
To give a few examples:
- Regular electricity consumption items like pool pumps should be put on day cycle to use the solar energy generated;
- Use your washing machine, and if you have - dryer during the day. Many new appliances now have inbuilt timers which will allow you to select the starting time of the operating cycle.
- Some of us load the dishwasher at night and switch it on before going to bed. We suggest to leave the dishes overnight and turn the dishwahser on before you leave for work and have the solar electricity run the machine. This way you maximize the benefits of the solar electricity being generated.
- Ironing clothes can be done during a sunny day or on the weekend.
- Should you have air-conditioning, another good idea is to pre-cool or pre-heat your house from 3pm onward, with the help of solar electricity. That way your air-conditioner is initially supported by solar power and when you come home the house is not too hot or too cold. Also the air-conditioning unit does not have to do all the hard work at peak electricity rates in the early evening.